Light Our City has three main goals:
1) ‘Uniting the Body of Christ’ across racial, denominational, and generational barriers.
2) ‘Building the Kingdom of God’ here on Earth by living out Matthew 5: 14-16 in view of the world.
3) ‘Impacting our cities’, and its people, in a positive way through acts of service.
Don’t just curse the darkness… Be the light!
1) Uniting the Body of Christ… In John 17:21, Jesus prayed that the church would be ‘one’ even as He and His Father are one. He prayed this even before the church really had begun. Certainly He foresaw the divisions that would come within the church, and He knew the paralyzing effects it could have on His Body. So, He prayed for us. Still for most of the church’s history we have been divided by many things. Much of that division has been over petty issues but not all, of course. In our effort to submit more fully to Christ, we, the churches and ministries who are partnering with Light Our City, have determined to overlook ‘non-crucial differences’ in our faith and join hand in hand to accomplish His purpose here on earth. We still believe the Bible is God’s inerrant Word. We still believe God has called us to purity, holiness. We still believe that Jesus is the (only)way the truth and the life (John 14:6). And, we still hold to our individual doctrines without compromise, yet we have chosen to unite under the banner of Jesus Christ for the purpose of the great commission and do what we are here for, reach the world for Jesus. We hope in the process that we will learn about each other and develop new relationships, allowing those walls, within the true Body of Christ that have caused us to be ineffective, to crumble. “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”-John 13:35
2) Building the Kingdom of God… As previously mentioned, we hope to do our part to accomplish the purpose of Christ here on Earth. Our endeavor is not about one fellowship, one pastor, or even one denomination, it’s about the Kingdom of God. Jesus told us the Kingdom of God is within us (the church) and He told us to go out and tell those we meet, that the kingdom of God has come near them. We are representative of the Kingdom of Heaven, therefore we have the good news of the Gospel inside us and need to let it out! One way Jesus told us to do that was by letting our light shine before men, so that they would see our good works and glorify God (Matt. 5:14-16 – Our Key Scripture.) Most of us have allowed our church walls to become the basket (bushel) that has hidden our light, so we have determined to symbolically remove that basket and place the lamp upon it’s stand for the world to see, not by dissolving our fellowships but by uniting and going outside our walls to display the light of our Lord who is in us.
3) Impacting our Cities… When Jesus told His disciples how they would impact their world, He told them to go to Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and then to the ends of the world. They would start in their own town, spread to the surrounding region, then neighboring cities, and finally impact the world. Our efforts too, should begin right here at home. In 2013 we began with Light Our City by simply impacting Mansfield and Ontario. In 2014, the efforts have increased. Now Mansfield, Ontario, Bellville, Lexington and Shelby Ohio are all involved, and a Light Our City outreach effort will take place in Cincinnati Ohio. Other Christians have heard what is happening here too, and are interested in bringing this same type partnership to their cities. Late last year, what began in Mansfield spread to Centurion South Africa with great success. This year we have been contacted by a ministry in Cleveland Ohio, that would like to see a Light Our City partnership happen there. Proverbs 11:10 tells us that “when the righteous do well, the city is blessed.” Our hope is that with our unity in Christ, whit our effort to build His kingdom and not our own kingdoms, and with the blessing of God, our cities will be blessed and impacted in a very positive way for Christ.